Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Anniversary #16


As we celebrate our anniversary, today also marks Ellen's passing. 
I'm sure she feels terrible about those two events happening on the same day. 
We visited Ellen around her final birthday, and she said her only wish was to be able to go out to a restaurant to eat. The place she requested was Olive Garden, the same place we had our wedding rehearsal dinner all those years ago. Ellen did in fact make it to Olive Garden and we go in her memory every year.
For years (until Rich recently, unknowingly corrected her) Macey would bless our food to "strengthen our lungs" instead of the generic "strengthen our bodies". She had grown up hearing us pleading for Ellen's lungs to heal and it became part of her wishes too.
We miss Ellen so much. 
But I know she would be so happy with where we are now.
 Rich loves his work and is appreciated. He has more hobbies than you can shake a stick at. And he's actually trying to get the lab to pay for a Masters Degree in Portuguese to combine his career and passion! All while trying to make it as a professional Ultimate Frisbee player and coaching his kids in the sport too. 
I've fallen more in love with Tennessee with each time I'm on the paddle board on the lake less than 10 minutes from our house. I'm back to subbing, and love the community of our school. Young Women's is going well and you can count on me to speak my mind. 
McKay and Macey are thriving at school, at church and are still the best of friends. 
We love Ellen and the best way we show that is loving eachother. 

This day is hard and also beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment